Wednesday 10 October 2007

Bishop of Willesden 'lone voice' welcoming tax breaks for married couples

(Ed: from Ruth Gledhill's blog, "Church fails to welcome Gordon's married couple tax break)

We laughed in The Times office as Gordon Brown spoke today. There are such fun political times ahead. Anyway, for the first time that I can remember in decades, a Prime Minister has actually introduced a tax break for married couples. Yippee! And can I find a bishop to welcome this? A bishop from an established Church that has for as many decades been bewailing the manifold sins and wickednesses of successive governments' anti-marriage tax policies? Of course I can't. Ha ha ha. As if. Normally, when big political stories are breaking, religion correspondents are left on the sidelines. Here was a chance to get in on the action! But no such luck. Our church is, sometimes, just pathetic. Anway, read on for what Gordon said. I'm welcoming it, even if the bishops aren't. I guess I'll have to do. (Update: Pete Broadbent, Bishop of Willesden, has said this ... Read more

No comments will be posted without a full name and location, see the
policy.

No comments: