Thursday 22 February 2007

A lesson in why parents find God

Ed: if you start it, it is worth reading the whole of this, otherwise it's just another story about getting your kids into a Church school.

About 10 years ago, a rather wonderful thing happened: I started going to church. Not that I had ever entirely stopped. The church where I grew up in Surrey was exceptionally beautiful and possessed good Elizabethan tomb effigies, somebody's funerary helmet and the oldest monumental brass in the country. You just don't get that sort of thing out of your veins.

But, once I lived in London, Sundays would come and go without Aslet looking out for his soul. And then this small miracle happened. I didn't quite go down on my knees in Eaton Square, but I began attending church there. So did my wife, and she's Jewish.

Ah, you know what's coming, don't you? A lot of parents will have already twigged. They will adopt an ironic elevation of eyebrow when I say St Peter's has become our spiritual home.They will deduce that the small miracle of faith of which I have just written had been preceded by another small miracle: the birth of our first son. You've got it. St Peter's has a CoE primary school attached. Read more

No comments: