Sunday 18 February 2007

Bishop of Maryland disinvites Archbishop of Ghana over Eucharist boycott

It is with sadness that I need to rescind my invitation to you to be with us in late March into early April, 2007. Yesterday I learned you were one of seven primates who have boycotted the Eucharist at the Primates Meeting in Dar es Salaam, and +Peter Akinola’s statement on behalf of the seven of you is in all the newspapers. I have received a number of emails from clergy in this Diocese expressing their disapproval of your action. The Diocesan Council met today and agrees that you cannot be welcomed in Maryland under the circumstances. For my own part, I am disappointed you would use the Holy Sacrament of our Lord’s Body and Blood as a political tool—I had assumed you sacramental theology was more thoroughly Anglican. Mostly I am sorry after so many years to end our personal relationship on this note. Read more

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are not in love and peace with your neighbour......... So when I was not and did not attend Communion was I making a political statement. As soom as I was in love and peace with my neighbour we took communion together. I pray now that the Bp of Maryland may do likewise