Friday 11 April 2008

ABp Peter Jensen: Say your Creed with joy

Almost the first thing I did this morning was to say the Apostles’ Creed to myself – joyfully.

[...]

Why would I say this joyfully? For a number of reasons.

First, my belief in the truths of the Creed identifies me as a Christian, and I love being a Christian. Many of the reasons for my enthusiasm are referred to in the Creed – knowing the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit; and experiencing the forgiveness of sins and the communion of the saints.

Second, it reminds me of our fundamental worldview – that we live in a world created by the one sovereign and almighty God. This is a wonderful contrast to the belief that we live in a chaotic world subject to the powers of many competing gods or spiritual forces. It is also a wonderful contrast to the opinion that we live in an accidental universe, in which matter is the final impersonal power. The world is meaningful because it completely depends on a God of purpose. Read more
No comments will be posted without a full name and location, see the
policy.

No comments: