Thursday 3 May 2007

Council home modifications possible for religious reasons

(Ed: This story has provoked considerable interest. The only problem is that I can't find any indication of a religion that requires 'cooking over an open flame'. Was this, I wonder, a wind-up? Did someone say to the Council, "Oh, and my religion means I must cook over an open flame, so could I have a new gas stove?" If anyone out there does know of a religion where this is a requirement, please let me/us know.)

Council tenants in Oxford can receive modifications to their homes for religious reasons.

Oxford City Council has agreed to promote the fact that money is available for ethnic minority tenants for home adaptations - such as making sure they had gas cookers if their religion stipulated food must be cooked over an open flame.

However, some councillors warned that the policy was divisive and that all tenants should be treated the same. Read more

No comments: