Saturday 6 January 2007

Bishop on Fulcrum forum questions "No particular place to go"

I think what worries me about John Richardson's essay (and he's an old mate of mine from college days, so I don't want to diss him) is his almost complete lack of understanding about what bishops in the Church of England actually do. I'm a bit too busy at present to write a detailed refutation, but the questions it raises for me are:

1. Do evangelical Anglican clergy (and laity) genuinely and generally think that the picture he paints of the work of a bishop and what our priorities are is an accurate one?

2. If this is a generally held impression, what can be done to acquaint people with the reality?

3. Does this lack of comprehension lie at the heart of much of the stuff that is going on in relation to bishops and some parishes at present?

These are genuine questions. I'm not sure that most of the clergy in my episcopal area would share anything like John's views; indeed, I'm sure I may delude myself that they know what bishops are for, what they do, and the theological and practical value of episcopacy. But it would be interesting (without derailing this thread) to tease out whether these views are widespread. Go to the forum Read the essay

No comments: