Thursday 7 February 2008

Sex education vs the contraceptive jab

Every time I read about a new Government proposal to cut teenage pregnancies, a little bit of me dies inside. It's that "here we go again" feeling, similar, I suppose, to seeing the Spice Girls reform, or being at a party and listening to an inebriated guest repeat ad infinitum the reasons they think that Hillary should win the Democratic nomination, as if they were a senior political analyst from Washington DC and not an accountant from Guildford.

The thing about teenage pregnancies is that the Government has been trying to lower them since I was a teenager, and yet the numbers continue to get higher and higher, until you wonder if there is a youth in the land not wheeling a buggy around the streets. I'm sure that if you plotted a graph showing the relation between the number of Government initiatives to prevent teen pregnancies and the number of child mothers, you would see that there is a direct correlation.

If I were Dawn Primarolo, I'd give up. I'd say "Go at it like rabbits, then, and jolly well forget about contraception. I've always disliked it anyway, and babies are super cute!" and sit back and watch as the nation's adolescents returned to wholesome activities such as exploring the great outdoors and playing pick-up sticks.

But I am not Dawn Primarolo; she has announced that, as the next step in the war on children bearing children, GPs will soon recommend that instead of the Pill, young women take "long-acting" methods of contraception such as injections and implants. This is because most girls are so stupid or drunk or both that they often forget to take their pill, resulting in nasty, unwanted pregnancies. Now, with just one jab, a GP can provide a teenage girl with hassle-free sex for months on end. A mini-sterilisation, if you will. Read more
No comments will be posted without a full name and location, see the
policy.

No comments: